Monday, February 10, 2020

Graphic Progress

I found myself stuck in a rut on creation the City of Warten map. Not that I quit, I just set it aside in order to make some sort of progress. The graphic and writing tasks required to produce an adventure are recorded in a shared Dropbox folder. As a task is completed we simply cross through the task to show that the work is complete. Ideally, when all tasks are crossed out, the adventure is ready to be put together with InDesign for PDF creation which has another set of tasks depending on what the PDF is to accomplish.

An example of this might be a PDF used for advertising, or a PDF of adventure that will be sold for electronic distribution through DriveThruRPG.com. There is another PDF that would need to be created for Print on Demand services through DriveThruRPG.com as well. The nice part about this time around is that those are the only PDFs I can foresee having to create. This is because we are only creating the adventure for use in conjunction with Savage Worlds Adventure Edition RPG.

In the past we would have to do all those PDFs over and over for each ruleset we published for, OGL 3.5, Fantasy Grounds, etc. It truly was overwhelming and I have no idea how we managed to pull that off on top of my college education and work responsibilities of that era. But, I am digressing...

This week I designed a graphic called the Visserian Eagle. This device would be a primary device used by the Visserian nation for its military and government edifices. I chose to place it in context on a small banner. Once I developed the eagle and banner, I was asked to make the banner with a background color of red, instead of green to reflect the color being used to describe it by Dave in the adventure proper.

The next project was to come up with an ancient symbol to represent the long lost nation of Korrison. I developed a two part device that represented the five states that originally came together to form Korrison, then a central replaceable device that could represent various functions within the nation of Korrison. In this case a somewhat abstracted and symbolic graphic of an eye that represents knowledge.

My final progress this past week came via work with Adobe Illustrator using combinations of original brushes, graphic appearances, and effects, layered together in a very specific method. Creating this took months of effort to hand draw bricks, and hatchmarks, and discover a method for using them to make what looks like a convincing sewer environment. My question to those who read and see this, is does it look good for a floor plan of a section of sewer. Without using color and keeping this black and white for ease of printing, do you have any suggestions to improve?

On a more personal note I've completed a few more miniature painting tasks for the Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu game. After watching the painting guide set forth by Mattias Falck on YouTube from about three years ago I set out to paint the driver, doctor, and detective miniatures. I am not a big fan of exaggerated highlighting, so my work seems to be a bit more dark and sinister.

This is not to say that there are no shades or highlights, there are. I just wanted a more earthly appearance. Let me know what you think!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Generic Adventure

In my experience, roleplaying adventures commonly include guidelines on how they can be inserted into an existing campaign. Sometimes the pr...