Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Map Elements Design

Aside from coming up with the locale for starting a new adventure, I find myself in need of developing features that will be utilized on future maps. Features such as a scale bar, compass rose, title and legend typeface choices. Over the past week I developed all of these things.

Here is my initial compass rose sketch:

While interesting I did not find it compelling and of course I still needed to address how to incorporate the typeface. This next compass rose is where I am at now. I chose an Adobe Typeface available through Adobe Font, titled Acme Gothic, Black. The final choice was to give the lettering a slight rotation, suggesting action and riffing back upon the earliest days of Savage Worlds design choices:

The scale bar seemed to just follow here:

My next goal is to create and collect an assortment of textures that I might use for brushes and map backgrounds, so that I might bring not only Warten to life, but all future White Haired Man maps. I want my work to appear as if created in a standardized way, a choice I did not make during our last run. My expectations are the more planning I put into map design elements now, the easier it will be to understand what I am trying to convey at a glance.

I look forward to hearing from others regarding my design decisions thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Generic Adventure

In my experience, roleplaying adventures commonly include guidelines on how they can be inserted into an existing campaign. Sometimes the pr...